We're International...so how do I pack all my Make-Up?
In June, we had the amazing opportunity to be the make-up artist for a destination wedding in Jamaica. Now...I'm still screaming with joy about this amazing opportunity and am somewhat in disbelief that my GLAMBULOUS Bride chose me! So, as I prepared for all of this amazingness I had the terrifying task of having to pack my make-up for international travel. Now, if you know me you know that I like to have every ounce of make-up that I can because you just never know.
Being a traveling artist for just over 3 years, I have grown accustomed to having my favorites and if I don't have something being able to get my hands on it rather quickly. Well, traveling to Jamaica is all together different and there were not MAC stores, Sephora locations, or random Walgreens for me to visit if I run out of lash glue...But how, praise God, do I pack all of this stuff (fabulous stuff...I might add)?
Of course, I was absolutely afraid to put anything in my checked luggage because what if it got lost? I could arrive to Jamaica with no underwear but I couldn't arrive with no make-up...so needless to say, that was out. I had to try to figure out a way to carry on as much as I could without the TSA thinking that my Black Opal cream foundations could be a threat to anyone's safety. I have never studied traveling requirements and/or tried to get so much in a quart sized bag in my life...To hell with quart sized bags! Nothing can really fit in them! I mean...really! I am so thankful for clear plastic make-up zip bags that I am going to make a significant investment in more...as well as a Zuca style bookbag because my shoulder and I were not friends for two weeks after having to carry my favorite Betsy Johnson duffel...it was cute but not comfy!
So, if you are a make-up artist, planning to travel internationally here are some tips that worked for me:
1. Organization is key. Figure out all of the products that you will need before packing anything as you will have lots of duplicates or products that will not be used for the occasion.
2. Limit your foundations to the ones you absolutely can not live without and put your color theory and mixology hats on when you get there to create shades that that you did not bring.
3. Liquids have a tendency to burst while flying...I guess it's from the pressure (who knew). Be sure to pack all of your liquid products in their own separate bag or you will have a mess when you open your suitcase.
4. Carry on as much as you can...Like I said, no underwear is ok. No make-up is unacceptable.
5. Read and reread the TSA requirements. They have changed so please be sure you understand them and know what is acceptable and what's not.
It's all LOVE....